This blog is a series of entries and pictures dedicated to following the activities and thoughts of Elder Austin Claiborne as he devotes 24 months to serving the people in the Philippines Manila Mission. Work hard, Austin and return with honor. We love you.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Week 12

Elder Claiborne reports another busy week sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. In his separate letter home he reports that his companion, Elder Nye, is an excellent trainer and he describes his mission president as a spiritual giant (all 5'5" of him). He also tells us that prior to her baptism, Nanay Fannie was so excited she was jumping around doing karate, which is even more humorous given that she is apparently 60 years old! Thanks to everyone who has taken time to write to him. The letters are slow in arriving (even through dearelder.com) but when they do arrive, they mean a great deal to him.


General Update:


Epefania Justiniane Ramos (Nanay Fannie) was baptized on September 24, 2011 and confirmed on September 25, 2011. It was a great day for a missionary! She was so excited, it was great!Oh, on a more random note, I saw the American Idol winners last week. haha We went to Market Market which is basically a mall. It's very Americanized. We go there every preparation day so we can buy food for the week, and it just so happened that at the exact time we went, the American Idol people we there. I don't remember who all it was, but I saw Scotty Mcsomethin, Lauren, and a bunch of the other top ten people from last season. We didn't linger or anything, but it was super random! haha So I thought I would throw that in my email this week.

On the same day, I was able to get my shirts tailored (they feel so much better now..), and play a pick-up basketball game with a group of Philippino guys. It was fun, and a bunch of people were stopping to watch the white American play basketball, because it's not something they are used to seeing. haha Oh, and I dominated. Duh.


O.k. well those things don't have much of anything to do with missionary work, but I thought they were fun stories.


My Tagalog is improving slowly but surely. That has easily been my biggest hindrance so far.. I'll get there though. We've been teaching a ton of lessons lately, but hope to be able to get more members present for our lessons. It's always helpful when a testimony comes from someone who is't a full time missionary.


I'm trying my best to put all my focus on the work here, but I'm not going to lie, I miss everyone back home a ton! I try to keep everyone in my prayers, which keeps me on my knees for a long time some nights.


A good section of scripture study this week is Alma 32:28-43 :) God bless everyone. Remember to show God you love him by keeping his commandments!


Love,

-Elder Austin R. Claiborne

No comments:

Post a Comment